The City of Trogir was founded by Greek colonists from the island of Vis in the 3rd century BC. It is considered to be the best preserved Romanesque-Gothic city in Central Europe.
The entire city is under the protection of UNESCO since 1997.
Trogir is one of the cities which should be toured with a professional guide, out of season and away from the tourist crowds.
The first pharmacy in Europe was opened in Trogir in 1271. It was located within a residential complex near the cathedral and the town loggia. The original document confirming this is part of a private collection, while its copy is kept in the Trogir museum.
WHAT TO SEE IN TROGIR?
It is located on the south-western edge of the city of Trogir, in the corner of its walls. The fortress was built from 1420 to 1437 and used to accommodate the Venetian military.
It is a former residential and commercial complex with stylistic features ranging from the Romanesque to the Baroque period.
Northern city gates
The gates date from the 17th/18th century and have at the top a statue of the city patron saint St. John of Trogir, the work of Bonino da Milano (15th century).
Main city square
On the main square you can see the City Hall. The Duke’s Palace was first mentioned in the 13th century and its renewal during the 19th century restored its Renaissance appearance. The Church of St. John the Baptist from the 13th century was once an integral part of a Benedictine monastery.
The remains of the Church of St. Mary from the 9th century, with a hexafoil floor plan, are hidden in the yard opposite the City Hall. Next to there is the new Pinacotheca of the Sacred Art Collection, featuring the precious paintings and written heritage from the Trogir and Čiovo churches, the works of Blaise George of Trogir, Quirizio da Murano, Gentile Bellini etc.
In mid-15th century, the votive Church of St. Sebastian was built for delivery from plague, featuring a clock tower instead of a bell tower.
Ćipiko Palace, the big and the small building
They were built by connecting Romanesque buildings. On the façade of the big building there is a Gothic triforium, the work of Andrea Alessi, as well as the doors carved by Ivan Duknović. The southern portal was made by Nicholas of Florence.
Tower of St. Mark
Today it is the House of Dalmatian Music.
Cathedral of St. Lawrence
Also known as the Church of St. John of Trogir, it was built from the 13th to the 17th century. It has Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque features. The most beautiful area of the church is the Chapel of St. John from the 15th century, the work of Nicholas of Florence, A. Alessi and I. Duknović.
The city has many cultural and historical monuments. Did you know that Trogir minted its own money (the bagattino) from copper, with the figure of St. Lawrence, its patron saint? A lot of native masters and artists – Radovan, Blaise George of Trogir, Ivan Duknović, Andrea Alessi and Nicholas of Florence – graced it with their works. Their signature is visible on the façades and the stone, wood and canvas sculptures. You can see them all in the city of Trogir.